18/06/2015

// book review + discussion: ps i still love you by jenny han



P.S I Still Love You by Jenny Han
Series: To All The Boys I've Loved Before #2
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books For Young Readers, 26th of May 2015
Pages: 368
Format: Hardcover 
Source: Purchased
Amazon
Book Depository
Goodreads

Synopsis:

Given the way love turned her heart in the New York Times bestselling To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before, which SLJ called a “lovely, lighthearted romance,” it’s no surprise that Lara Jean still has letters to write. Lara Jean didn’t expect to really fall for Peter. She and Peter were just pretending. Except suddenly they weren’t. Now Lara Jean is more confused than ever. When another boy from her past returns to her life, Lara Jean’s feelings for him return too. Can a girl be in love with two boys at once? 


Review:

P.S I Still Love You is the second book in the duology and is one of the most anticipated books of the year. I read this as soon as i finished reading the first book, To All The Boys I've Loved Before as I couldn't wait to get back in Lara Jean and Peter Kavinsky's lives to see what happens because daaamn that was a cliffhanger!


I must admit I was a little conflicted after reading the synopsis as it suggests a love triangle blooming with one of her past crushes…. I for one wasn't a massive fan of love triangles so I was slightly worried the book would get ruined for me. But thankfully I was wrong, there wasn't a point in the book where it had annoying love triangle elements that we would often read about.


Some people were annoyed at Lara Jean for acting younger than her actual age, but after reading the second book of the installment you could definitely see an improvement in her. Her character development was amazing: the once naive and sometimes childish Lara Jean has become a wiser girl by the end of the book


I felt that the slutshaming issue in the book was important as it something rampant today. but one of my favourite part of the book would be when Jenny Han said a feminist remark and wrote “society is far too caught up in shaming a woman for enjoying sex and applauding a man”


Anyway, I loved how we get to see more of Peter and Lara’s relationship. It was refreshing to see their relationship at its early stages. Everything seemed new, exciting and young. You just couldn't help but ship them, you know? It’s bittersweet how everyone can see that they love each other, through their sneaky glances but they won't admit it themselves.


I fell more in love with Peter in this book. He gets protective of Lara Jean and hates it when she's upset. Peter Kavinsky who loves mocha sugar doughnuts and is too precious for this world. And when he got Lara Jean the antique necklace from his mum's shop that she's been admiring since forever oh my god i was making ugly crying noises because they're so cuuute. He has his flaws and shortcomings, but hey no ones perfect. What's important is he makes an effort to change


Okay now let's discuss the "love triangle", I usually hate the other person in love triangles for getting in the way of my ship, but John Ambrose McClaren is far from anyone you could hate. He's sweet and charming (He is an actual puppy). He was Peter Kavinsky’s best friend and one of Lara's childhood friends until he moved. He and Lara have a lot of things in common and have this instant click between them but would Lara Jean choose him over Peter?


Overall, the book was as amazing as the first book, but I enjoyed the other more. It kind of makes me sad how this this the last book of the duology… I will miss all the characters i got attached to and have learned to love. I hope you go out and buy this book (or you know if you prefer ebooks that's cool too) and love it as much as i did.

Let me know in the comments below if you bought the book + what your opinions and if you're Team Peter or Team John Ambrose :)




No comments:

Post a Comment